Moving tips for Hollywood colleges students
Moving to Hollywood to attend a college?
Picking a right college is a big decision. The school you go to could have a significant effect on the rest of your life. It is also a significant investment of money and time. Just like with any investment, this is one you should not embark on thoughtlessly. Before committing, you should do a lot of research so that you can be sure you are headed to the right school. The following article will give you some ideas for how to go about your search for Hollywood colleges.
The choice of moving to Hollywood to attend a college is an important decision. It is up to you whether you are going to use them, or you will fail at that. The reason why we wrote these Moving tips for Hollywood college students is to give you a hand on using chances. And you surely need them. The tips we are about to reveal to you are essential for all the students relocating to Hollywood for the first time. There are 200 colleges and universities within the Hollywood area. The educational opportunities around Hollywood include:
- private colleges close to downtown
- state universities with large student bodies
- affordable public schools and community colleges
You can use the information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to figure out which option will most help you achieve your goals for the future.
Picking a Hollywood college
Choose your area of study
One of the first things you think about in regard to college is your major. Knowing this can help you pick a school in Hollywood that is just perfect for you. Different colleges have different strengths. Some have fantastic chemistry programs, but are lacking when it comes to the arts. Others may have some of the best literature professors in the country, but might not offer classes in complex mathematical theories. If you know exactly what you want your major to be, you can lessen your research to Hollywood schools that have the program you want. If you’re not so sure about the specific major you’d like to seek, try to pick a more general area of study. You can figure out the particularities later on.
Check on your budget
Not everyone can afford to pay for Hollywood college outright. Most students will need some kind of financial assistance to make it possible. Scholarships can go a long way toward paying for college, but for many, student loans are the only attainable option. So, when you look at Hollywood colleges, consider what kind of debt you will be putting yourself in by going there. It is up to you to decide which school will provide you with the best education for your money. Also, check on your budget before you start searching for the Hollywood neighborhood where you will relocate. Hollywood is an expensive city and moving there as a student means accepting much less comfort for paying a little less money. If you don’t have enough money to live near your college, find a place well connected to it by public transportation.
Hollywood, California colleges and universities
Closest Schools to Hollywood
Being located within the Los Angeles metropolitan area – one of the largest urban areas in the country – Hollywood is near numerous colleges and universities. Many of these schools focus on filmmaking, special effects makeup, or other specific fields of study. The following colleges and universities have the closest campuses to Hollywood that offer a wide range of programs:
- Los Angeles City College (1.2 miles)
- Learnet Academy Inc (3.1 miles)
- Bryan University (3.4 miles)
- Fremont College (3.4 miles)
- Shepherd University (3.4 miles)
Largest Schools near Hollywood, California
The greater Los Angeles area, including Hollywood, contains several larger universities with student populations exceeding 35,000. According the NCES, the largest schools within 25 miles of Hollywood are:
- University of Southern California (43,401 students)
- University of California – Los Angeles (41,908 students)
- California State University – Northridge (41,548 students)
- California State University – Long Beach (37,446 students)
- East Los Angeles College (37,188 students)
Once you have chosen the Hollywood college that fits you
So you finally made up your mind and chose the best Hollywood college that meets your needs. Congratulations! What is next? Now you have to think about what is really important to you when it comes to moving to Hollywood. And not just moving, but moving for a college. Here are some moving tips for Hollywood colleges students:
- Choose where you want to live. There are two choices after you move to Hollywood. Either you are going to live in a dorm, or you will be renting an apartment. In case you are up to for second option mentioned, get well informed about the costs of it.
- Get to know public transportation system. Every college student moving to Hollywood should find out how the public transportation works there. Because you will be probably using it a lot. You should know that the public transportation system is very good. You can get just about anywhere in Hollywood, Los Angeles by public transportation.
- Take care of staying on a budget. It will make your life as a newcomer to Hollywood much easier, and much less complicated if you don’t need to worry about the scholarship.
- Get a job. When you move to another city, it is much easier to live with an extra cash! It doesn’t matter if your parents are going to send you money. Once you move to Hollywood, try to have some money source of your own.
In light of the gigantic number of post secondary educational institutes in or around Hollywood, prospective students can pay attention to factors like: location, size, cost, and graduation track record when deciding which Hollywood colleges to apply to.
After the move
For some students, going away to college is the first time they have lived away from home. Maybe is the first time you have moved in your life. It is normal to feel some homesickness at some point. The normal thing is to crave to be back in a place where you were more comfortable and sure of your own purpose. Once you get over this barrier, though, you will find yourself with a new sense of independence and self-identity. It really is an exciting thing.
How to deal with homesickness
- Stay in contact with your friends and family
- Give yourself time and be patient with yourself and your environment
- Give it an honest shot and raise your expectations of yourself and the life you can lead at college
- Be open to new experiences, friendships and a new you
- Enjoy the whole new world out there and live your life!